Friday, August 27, 2010

I Truly DESPISE Unpicking

And suddenly I find I will be doing quite a lot of it.

So you know that Christmas Quilt that I have been posting a few squares of each week. Well here's the story. I decided that I wanted to try something new on the stitching and since it was a sampler quilt I thought I could do some "Sampler" quilting. This was totally new to me but I just jumped in head first.

I printed off 16 different Christmas images from the computer, cut them out and decided they would be my template. I ran to JoAnn's and bought a water soluble pen and was ready to go. The plan was to stitch an image on each square. Super cute idea, right??

So I started quilting this morning. After the first block I decide that you couldn't see the picture stitched in white and that I should rethink. So I moved to alternating red and green. I restitched over top of the white one (ya, that is going to be super fun to unpick) and decided it looked better although it still didn't show up as much as I hoped.


I moved on to the next block and once again, the design just didn't show up as much as I liked, but I thought, ah well, I don't want to unpick because I hate that.


So on to block three. Same story, cute image, but it just blends in a little to much. Keep pushing on though, since in the end, I almost always like my mistakes.


So on to block 4 and HORROR!!! The block is upside down!! This normally would not be that big of a deal but block 4 has writing on it that is upside down, Awful!! Then it hit me, the back has that same writing print in a huge box in the middle and you guessed it, the images are all upside down on it!!


At this point there were some frantic shouts, followed by some frantic tears. And then chased down with a donut and ice cream. I had crossed the line where I just am unwilling to keep nursing a mistake. So now, I have tons of unpicking to do. Also, I find myself really debating if I still want to quilt in pictures or just do more of a free motion random stitch. I mean if they are barely noticeable . . . . What do I do. Any opinions??

***  SO I can't find these pictures any more to replace them.  Just know it stunk to unpick :)

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. my great aunt, who does quilting says, "Would you notice it on a horse riding by?"

    I'm sorry it's giving you so much trouble! I too despise my seam ripper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! melissa!! poor girl! way to go on trying something new again tho! my suggestion, after all that un picking... go with a simple free motion...otherwise you will HATE that quilt when its all done! I could be wrong... and that totally sucks that all the words went another way...argh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I wish I could come over and help you unpick! I would agree with Becca and do an allover pattern, and save your super cute idea for when it will really shine. sorry it's giving you such a headache!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sampler free motion quilt would look great on a solid color. You know those quilts that are just one sheet of fabric and they have very intricate quilting designs? I can see your quilting though and I love it. The candy canes are so cute! I hate picking also and if I were you (since you are so far along) I would see if there was any I could actually make the upside down writing the right side up of the quilt. That is a lot of picks to pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that it didn't work out. Put in a good movie, the kind that you don't need to watch because you have seen it a lot, put your feet up and have some down time. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain! I unpicked a whole project once because the blocks didnt end up where they were supposed to go, that will teach me to keep sewing instead of opening and pressing in between and laying the quilt out over again each time!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I just love hearing from you!!
Have a Happy Quilting Day :)

Melissa