Thursday, June 20, 2013

3-D Flower Applique Tutorial

I wanted to add some cute embellishments to the baby girl quilt I just finished.  I thought it would be fun to have a little something that the baby can grab on to and play with.  (Or more likely suck on :)  So I created some adorable little 3-D Flower appliques.  And I took some pictures along the way to share the process with all of you  :)


I used my Slice machine for this tutorial.  If you have been around here for a bit you know I love my Slice and use it for all of the applique in my quilts.  (which is a lot)  If you are wondering what a Slice is, you can read more on this guest tutorial I did a while back.   I also plan to do a Slice basics tutorial in the next few weeks (just need a few more hours each day :) so you can watch for that too :)  

Note - If you don't have a slice you can still do this tutorial, it just makes it a lot easier :)

To start, cut 4 1/2" squares from your desired material that you want your flowers out of.  Remember, you need a fabric for the front and the back, So you will be cutting 2 squares (can be different fabric) for each flower you want to create.  Then cut two 4 1/2" square of Fusible Web (I used the Fusible Web that Slice creates for their machine) for each flower you want to create.


Iron the fusible web squares to the wrong side of the fabric squares.  If you are using a Slice you can peel the paper backing off once it cools down.


To cut your designs out simply place your fabrics on your sticky glass mat and select a flower design you like from the Basics discs that comes with the machine and size it to 4".  Place the machine on the fabric and cut the design. (This is the first time I used the hand's free kit and I loved it!!!).   Be sure to cut the mirror image of your backing flowers so they will match up with wrong sides together.
 If you don't have a Slice, using a template trace a flower design on on the paper side of the web and cut it out using scissors, then remove the paper backing.  Again, be sure to use a mirror image of the backing.

Now, to have a cute squishy center you need some batting flowers.  Place a scrap of cotton batting on your sticky mat.  Select the same flower but size it to 3 1/2".  Place it on the scrap batting and cut the design.  It won't cut all the way through the batting (it's a little to thick) but it will give you enough of a guide and then you can go back and finish cutting all the way through with scissors.
If you are doing this without the slice, just trace a 1/2" smaller version of your template onto scrap batting and cut them out.

Now, you are going to make some mini flower quilt sandwiches.  Gather a top flower, a batting flower and a backing flower.  Layer them with right sides out and the batting in the middle and edges lined up.  Press.  The fusible web on the fabric will hold the three layers together!


Now, just to add a cute stitch around the edge.  You can use a satin stitch, zig-zag stitch, blanket stitch . . .  Whatever you like that will finish the edges and keep it securely together.  I choose to do a blanket stitch.  This can be a little tricky as you are sewing right on the edge, just be careful when lifting your presser foot to spin that you keep the fabric right next to your needle.


Stitch a button hole to the center of each of your flowers.  (I do button holes so infrequently, that I had to pull out my manual to figure out how to do it :)


Decide where you want to add the embellishments on your quilt.  Mark a dot through the button hole onto the quilt top as a reference.  Sew a button onto each dot.


And just button your adorable 3-D  appliques to the quilt top.  Done!!!  Now just sit back and enjoy watching a wee one play with those cute little appliques :)


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  If you decide to make your own 3-D Appliques I would love to see them.  You can add them to my Flickr group here :)

And for those wondering, I will be sharing this quilt tutorial tomorrow ;)  Until then, have a Happy Quilting Day!!!
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. WAHOO! Looks great! Can't wait to try out mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAHHHHHHH!! That is adorable!!! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial.. Love the flowers so whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea. A great idea for an alphabet quilt with the letters or a barnyard quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute - I'm glad you told us about the slice. I read your post about it and would love more tutorials on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute, but I'm a little concerned about using small buttons on a baby quilt. What is your thinking about using buttons? I think I will stitch them on or even use velcro. My son almost choked on a button nose on a Winnie the Pooh so I'm ver cautious.
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just brought the slice, I cant get it to cute fabric. Tried and tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joyce I had that problem also, I sent it back got a new one and its fine

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I just love hearing from you!!
Have a Happy Quilting Day :)

Melissa