Friday, February 28, 2014

New Pillows and Giant Spiral Video Tutorial!!

I am so excited to share my finish today because it has been on the "To Do" list for some time!!  At the beginning of the year, I put Petal Pop on my bed to lighten things up a bit for the winter :)   And it has been driving me nuts for 2 months that there were no matching decorative pillows to go with it.  And lucky for me, Amy started a Pillow Collective project that was the perfect motivation for me to get this project done.  Yippee Skippee for 2 new Giant Spiral Pillows!!!


They look so awesome at the top of the bed!!  I just love popping in there now just to check out the "finished" look.  So fun!!!


I wanted to keep these fairly simple so they didn't take away from the beautiful bedspread so I decided to just do some basic envelope style pillow cases.  I whole cloth quilted the giant spiral on each pillow top and then added the backing envelope enclosure.  I love how clean and sleek they look.

For the quilting, I used a 12 weight Aurifil thread. (even though I called it 30 weight in the video, don't know where that came from ;)   I love the heavier look and the slight sheen it has.  Perfect for the decorative look I was going for.  And I just about used the whole spool on these 2 pillows :)


Oh, and another bonus to making these pillows, it also crossed something else off my list.  Several of you have been asking for a Giant Spiral quilting tutorial recently and well . . . 


Here it is!!!!  I hope you find it helpful for all of your Giant Spiral quilting projects ;)


**A Little Note - I was having a terrible time saying walking foot in this video.  I kept referring to it as a presser foot and even as a free motion foot there at the end.  So please, just disregard my inability to call the foot by its correct name.  I still get a little nervous when I record these and sometimes the words get a little jumbled up :)

I am so excited with how these turned out and so very happy to have a master bed that once again has some beautiful decorative pillows.  I think I will just go pop back to my room and check them out again :)


Have a Happy Quilting Weekend!!!

Linking these to Amanda's, Sarah's, Amy's, and Fort Worth Fabric Studio's :)  Wow, thats a lot of links, take a second to check them out.  They are awesome!!!
Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Your quilting is amazing. I've always wanted to try spiral quilting and haven't had the nerve. Thanks for posting a video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Thank you for another great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that when I have stuff up on my design board. I just sort of glance at it every now and then as I walk by the room. It helps me think of ways to finish whatever is up there. Love your pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched your video. Thank you for that. I've been wondering how those spirals were accomplished! I do have a question though. What kind of batting did you use for your pillows? It looks a little fluffier than a warm and natural type batting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are gorgeous -- and they'll go with anything else you decide to put on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty, I love how they stand out on their own yet do not take a way from the quilt. Thanks for shairing

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice, love them, of course at my house with three dogs, white would never work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! The spiral quilting is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! and the bed looks so professional like it should be in a show room, no wonder you keep poping in to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pillows. Thanks so much for posting your video. Spirals are actually the next thing I've been wanting to learn. So what a great time for you to post this. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! I would like to spiral my quilt from your quilt a long. Can't wait to watch the video when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I am new and always wondered how people do that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial! I have been waiting for this one and you did such a good job. This will definitely be my next quilting project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to see a tutorial on spiral quilting. Your pillow came out wonderful and looks so nice on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tutorial, that was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pillows!! They look great!! And I need to see if I can find that magazine for the Petal Pop: don't know how I missed that when you posted it in August, but that is sure a pretty quilt!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome pillows. My kids would love having a pillow fight with those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pillows are great, and thank you for the tutorial, makes me what to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That video was great I really want to try this now!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the amazing tutorial and wow that is some quilting. I love the spirals

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the tutorial! I've been wanting to try circles on a lap size quilt I have. Do you ever have problems with this technique warping the quilt top? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I just love hearing from you!!
Have a Happy Quilting Day :)

Melissa