Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Aloha

So can you guess where I have been from that title??  Yup, I just got back from the beautiful island of Maui in Hawaii!!  My husband had a conference there last week and I was all for tagging along.  So for the last 9 days we have been  . . .


Walking along beautiful endless beaches.  The beaches really weren't that busy and so we enjoyed a daily walk in the morning or evening pretty much to ourselves.


Playing in the water.  We actually saw 2 sea turtles while snorkeling.  My husband wanted to swim closer to them but I admit, I chickened out and started backpedaling.  They are big!!


Chasing the waves on the black sand beach.  They call it black sand, but it is more like little black pebbles.  They felt really cool on your feet.  

Enjoying the tropical views while bombing around the island in this!!  Seriously, you can see so much with the top down that you would miss otherwise.  It is absolutely stunning to be able to see everything above you while driving through the super lush part of the island.

Hiking to lots of hidden water falls.  Some of the hikes were a little crazy and a bit more difficult that I was expecting, but they were all totally worth it.  The green is just so beautiful and the natural pools are so clear!



Rock hopping on the volcanic rock that made up some of the shore lines.  These were incredible, especially with the waves constantly crashing and spraying.

Exploring the island.  On one exploration we finally found this blowhole.  It was quite the trek and the winds were blowing at 40 mph.  Major crazy rock scaling, but oh so much fun!!

(And ya, we got a little to close to the blowhole :)

Watching the water.  I could watch the movement and color for hours.  It is so incredibly beautiful   So many shades of blue moving in and out and the sound of the waves crashing over and over.   In a word, Stunning!!



And finally, enjoying some absolutely stunning sunsets!!  I looked forward to this time every evening!


All in all . . . It was an absolutely wonderful getaway for my husband and I.  I feel like one of the luckiest gals around! (Yup, had to add the sappy photo at the end :) 

Thanks for indulging me in my little trip recap.  We took over 200 pictures so it was hard to narrow them down.  So how about some fabric!!!  I was so excited to find this Hawaiian fabric shop.  (Husband not so much, but he endured :)  


Rows and Rows of beautiful Hawaiian print bolts!!  I love all of the beautiful bright colors!!


And . . . I even got to take a little class on Hawaiian quilting.  I forgot to take any pictures during the class, but this is the general gist of what we were doing.  It is all hand quilting of turned applique.  It was major intense hand quilting.  I don't see myself making a Hawaiian quilt anytime soon (we all know I am not such a fan of hand quilting ;) but it was so much fun to learn how it is done!

So now it's time to get back into the swing of things.  I think Mother Nature is trying to help us get used to Utah again as it is snowing outside :)  Gotta love it!!

Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Oh thank you, thank you for this post and pictures! I need a little Hawaii right now! Such a special place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love their style of 'bolts', no need to deal with a middle fold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you are one lucky lady, I could do with some sun and a holiday right now, it is so cold here! My husband goes on work trips but I never get to go with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right near me!!! I work 5 minutes from the Kihei shop with the Hawaiian quilting!! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a trip! Lucky you! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That picture just after the self-portrait of the two of you? That water is absolutely breathtaking! I cannot imagine seeing that brilliant blue water in person! And then I got to the fabric . . . drool . . . did you say "one yard of everything please?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hawaii is truly the most wonderful place on earth. I have loved all the time I have spent there, always happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how awful for you, these work trips are killers... ;o) Mind you, since my new job might be sending me to Mauritius, I can't really comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome trip!!! I can almost feel the air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you Melissa. I got to go to Oahu last year and promised myself I would go back to one of the other islands next year. Maui looks amazing. That sunset...stunning. You looks so relaxed and carefree there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are so pretty! I love Hawaii! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had an amazing trip! Did you buy any fabric and if so what are you going to use it for? I have some my daughter picked up for me when she was in Hawaii a few years back and I have never figured out what I want to do with it. I want to use it for something special so I am curious if you bought any what you are going to do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I recognize some of those pix from when my DH and I were there 5 yrs ago! Thank you for the reminder, it made me smile. And the little red convertible-we rented one just like it when we were there!!! So was the fabric shop on Maui??

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Maui! They have some cute quilt shops there 😃. I also took a Hawaiian appliqué class and loved it! Wasn't it cool taking the class in Hawaii from a Hawaiian native :) love the people there! You look so relaxed and happy, glad you had a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I just love hearing from you!!
Have a Happy Quilting Day :)

Melissa